Friday, April 30, 2010

About Me



Hi my name is Orla and this is my blog about my experience doing the Camino de Santiago.


In 2001 I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. This is an auto-immune disease which effects the large intestine mainly but also has knock on effects on the rest of a person's health. It has periods of activity and remission. Following my diagnosis I had a period of high disease activity which left me unable to work or attend college. People often ask how people cope with long term illness. I coped by becoming an armchair traveller. I read guidebooks, travelogues and books written by non-English speaking authors (translated into English, of course). I just lived with hope, that one day I would be better and I would embark on one of my many dream journeys.

At some stage during this time I stumbled upon the Camino. It captured my imagination. It had so much to offer; steeped in history, amazing scenery through a country that has interested me for years. It also had the un-attainability
factor. There I was unable to do much beyond basic daily tasks and here was an exercise in physical hardship and endurance. So yes I was hooked, and started planing my trip straight-away.

Then life took a different course, as it does. What's that much bandied about saying - " Life is what happens while you are making plans". So I got better and other dreams became realities. I got older, travelled to far flung places with a tiny rucksack, lived abroad in Spain and Australia. And all the time the Camino was there, beckoning.


Then in October 2009 I became sick again after 5 years of remission. All bets were off and my life, which had taken on that roller-coaster effect came to a very decided stand-still. No work, no college and a return to the dreaded half-life of long-term illness. This time I became totally house-bound. Nothing really prepares you for this. Being dependant on others for basic sustenance, being at the mercy of an impersonal medical system, feeling your hard-fought independence and dignity being gradually eroded. And how did I get through? By being an armchair traveller again. By letting my dreams of a better future carry me through the hard times, by repeating to myself -  This too shall pass.


I decided that I wanted to do the Camino. I was still way too sick to go but I just said - "May, I'll go in May". In late March I started to feel really bad. I hurt everywhere and my symptoms went "postal". The pain became so bad that I walked into A&E in CUH one Saturday and was admitted straight away. I got amazing medical care and within a week was discharged feeling better than I had felt in months. I improved hugely over the next few weeks with help of steroids. Then I decided to take the bull by the horns and go on my Camino.

What shall follow shall be my travelogue. I hope you enjoy it and it encourages you to attempt something you have always wanted to do.

6 comments:

  1. Hey girl, you're my hero, can't wait to hear how you get on. Bon voyagee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be checking this out every day...
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing person, My friend. Bit Nutty but amazing. With all you’ve been through – your optimism is a beacon of light in a world that can be disheartening at times, your hope is an inspiration. I wish you safe trip and look forward to updates periodically. You will be welcomed back with open arms. I am honoured to call you ‘my friend’!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orla has left the building :)
    we said our goodbyes at the airport. She was scared but shes a tough cookie. Cant wait to give her a hero's welcome in Barcelona..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful journey Orla, in every possible meaning of the word.. you have my support through your dream walk, will check your blog regularly.. looking forward to hear from you soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic initiative and a long term dream coming true... I hope you find a piece of mind and new exciting experiences, and that you have time to update us on your adventures :) Enjoy every minute of your journey, it's your time now!

    ReplyDelete